Sometimes the internet does not answer all questions. Especially in the realm of genealogy.  Information on the women is particularly difficult. There are always clues, and with some imagination a story can be written.  I have been fortunate in being able to piece together quite a bit about Jack’s family, but not all parts. The Maynard piece in particular has been elusive. The branches that grow from Jack’s grandparents Luther Fuller and Callie Mae French blossomed a little for me, and here is what I can share.

Luther Fuller was Jack’s grandfather.  He married Callie Mae French and their daughter Bonnie was Jack’s mother. Below, Luther:

Below is Luther’s obituary. If you click on the picture you should be able to read it better. John Fuller is listed incorrectly as Luther’s father. No one knows who his father was, and so far no records have been found.

Luther’s mother: Martha Fuller

From everything I can glean about Martha, she was a strong and independent woman. She did not depend on her children’s fathers for much, if anything at all. It may have cost her her family as she was “forced” to leave Virginia and move to Kentucky. I “found” some of her family on line and they said their families had lost touch with Martha’s branch many years ago….they were kind enough to send me the pictures of Martha and Luther that I have included.

Martha’s parents were “Col.” John Henry Fuller and Arminta Edwards. “Col.” is in quotations because it was a term of endearment and not a military title.

I was able to find a bit of information about John:

John Henry Fuller was born May 8, 1844, and died August 31, 1921. He was the son of Thomas and Anne (Gobble) Fuller. He was born on his father’s farm on the Russell Fork River, about one mile above the mouth of Frying Pan. Below, Col. John H. Fuller:

“John volunteered  for service as a Confederate soldier early during the Civil War. In 1862 the General Assembly of Virginia created Virginia State Line Organization. This company of Confederate soldiers were used as Home Guards to prevent invasion from the North and West. the company was formed from residents of Sandlick, and Clinch  River in the summer of 1862 by Ezekiel Counts for service under John B. Floyd.”

One story researched by Judge Elihu Sutherland on how John became called “Colonel”  is as follows: “While in the Civil War Battle of Bean Station TN. General Jackson was giving orders when John spoke up and said, “Scatter the soldiers on this end a little General.” and John Turner spoke up and said, “That’s it General, you should lay down your job and turn it over to Colonel Fuller.” The men had a big laugh and the name stuck.” Below, John Fuller’s grave stone:

John H. Fuller married Arminta “Mintie” Edwards. She was born June 26, 1842 in Patrick County, and died November 25, 1887 in Dickenson County. She was the daughter of the Elder Lewis Edwards and Nancy (Howell) Edwards. John and Arminta lived on the Neely Ridge section of Dickenson County. Arminta died on November 25, 1887, preceding her husband in death by some 34 years.

John and Arminta had nine children: Nancy Ann Rose, Martha Jane Fleming, Mary Catherine Perrigan, Hettie E. Viers, Lewis Fuller, Thomas Fuller, Sindusta R. Barton, Leah “Leear” Rose, and John Henry Fuller.

“Col.” John Henry Fuller’s parents were Thomas Fuller and Annie Gobble.

Thomas Fuller was born in Virginia around 1800, according to census records. He married Anne Gobble in Washington County, Virginia on November 6, 1823. Thomas and Anne bought 20 acres of land from John and Jemima Linder Gobble (Anne’s Uncle), according to a deed on record in Washington County. They gave $50.00 for the land located on the banks of the North Fork of the Holston River, just below the falls.

Thomas’ brother John had settled in an area known as Sandlick in the Sandy Basin. He sang the praises of this wilderness as a hunter’s paradise to his brother Thomas. Game was abundant. Thomas became interested in the area and began coming here on long hunting trips. There is a section of Dickenson County along Lick Creek that has long been known to the local people as “The Middle Of The World.”

Thomas was involved in the humorous events leading up to the naming of that section. Quoting from an interview by Judge E. J. Sutherland with Noah K. Counts on December 24, 1922: “One October, before anybody lived on Lick Creek, a party of hunters – Clabe Hicks, Joshua Counts, Jonas Rasnick and Thomas Fuller, from Russell County came out on Lick Creek to hunt. They camped at the mouth of Josh’s Branch. While out hunting on Lefthand Fork one day, Clabe Hicks got separated from the others and started back to camp. When he came to the top of the ridge where S. D. Counts now lives, it had become so foggy that he could see but a short distance. Seven times he left this gap and seven times he returned to it in bewilderment. He was completely lost. On the eighth attempt, he succeeded in reaching camp assisted materially by the shouts of his comrades who had become alarmed at his continued absence and started to search for him. In explaining his adventure, he said he believed it was the middle of the world as every path, ridge and hollow led to it.”

Thomas eventually brought his wife and settled in the area. We know they were living at Sandlick in the mid 1840’s because Anne joined the Sandlick Baptist Church in August, 1845. . Thomas was one of the first settlers in this area. He was a hunter and a farmer. By his hands, and the hands of hischildren, another section of the Sandy Basin was settled.

Arminta Edwards Fuller’s parents were Lewis Edwards and Nancy Howell.

Elder Lewis Edwards ca. 1880 This picture is a photo of the picture in the Sandlick Primitive Baptist Church in Sandlick

Lewis Edwards sounds like an old soul……..In his own words: ”

“I, Lewis Edwards, was born in Franklin county, Virginia, March 19, 1812. My parents were Brice and Jane Edwards. I was raised by pious parents, they taught me to be strictly honest and never to use profane language, and I can say now I never swore an oath in my life. My father moved to Patrick county in my 15th year, and though I was called a pious youth, I was a sinner, and sin was sweet to the flesh. I loved the company of young people and their sinful ways until I was about 16 or 17 years old, when my mind began to be troubled about my condition. I saw I was a sinner and not ready to die and the Bible said the wicked should be turned into hell. I became uneasy, for I knew I was a sinner. I became so uneasy and could see not rest; I thought I must try to pray; I did not want any one to know that I was trying to pray. At last I went off in a lonesome dark hollow where I thought no one would see me. There the devil tried to shame me out of it; he said I was too young to begin now; I would be slighted by all my comrades; I might have yet a great deal of pleasure with them, and then there’ll be time enough when I was much older. But I can say bless the Lord, He is above the devil.”  (WOW!)

And more: “Brethren and Sisters, I will give you an account of some of the hard trials I have went through when I moved to Dickenson County. It seemed like I was greatly blessed, I paid for my land and had plenty of property to live on, and in my first wife’s lifetime, seemed to be doing well and had plenty as common poor men. My wife was, I think, a good Christian and would very near always go to meeting with me and encourage me to go and it was a great encouragement to me in my trials while she lived. But, alas, the fatal day rolled around when I had to bid a final farewell for a while, though I believe we will shortly meet again, never more to part. It was a day never to be forgotten, for then began a day of trouble never to end until my eyes are closed in death. I was left alone in a world of trouble, with a family to maintain. Oh, how the lonesome hours passed away, none can tell but those that have tried it.”

Below, a new headstone for Elder Lewis:

I’ll pick up where we leave off here later on!